Pick Up Your Cross




The gospel seems to have taken on many different unbiblical forms but the end result is the same, deception.  One of the main characteristics we see missing in the proclamation is ‘taking up your cross’.

And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. (Luke 9:23)

That means we will suffer for following Christ which entails denying ourselves the luxury of our flesh.  Knowing people will hate us for His name sake, (Matthew 10) knowing it can be a very lonely road (in the flesh but we have our Savior in Spirit!!!) but following after Him anyway is denying our flesh the luxury of having just anyone but only those who are obedient brothers and sisters in Christ .  

And he answered them, saying, Who is my mother, or my brethren?  34 And he looked round about on them which sat about him, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!  35 For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother.  (Mark 3)

We have personally gone through and still are on that road, one that contains very few people (Noah had 8) and in Matthew 7 Jesus confirms this.  (Please CLICK HERE to read about divisions that happen to those in Christ.)

Going through trials such as this strengthens us and makes us lean on Him because in our weakness He is our strength.

 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  (2 Corinthians 12:9)

There will be times when much darkness abounds in our lives with various trials.  We refer to such trials in life as the valley of death….

Psalm 23
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Sadly the modern denominational systems only teach the antinomianist gospel (all grace and good) whereas we see the true gospel of Jesus telling us it won’t be pretty. 

We will be hated by loved ones/family…

And he said, Verily I say unto you, No prophet is accepted in his own country. (Luke 4:24)

 …and the world

If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.  (John 15:19).  

We will be scourged in synogogues (modern day religion)…

 But beware of men: for they will deliver you up to the councils, and they will scourge you in their synagogues (Matthew 10:17)

We will be persecuted…

Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution. (2 Timothy 3:12)

And we will carry that cross…(Luke 9:23) to our death because our rewards and riches lie in heaven, not on this earth.

Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you. (Matthew 5:12)

And here is our encouragement:

These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.   
(John 16:33)

To have believers in one’s life is a wonderful gift as they can be of great encouragement to press on.

Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ. (Galatians 6:2)

If you are not a born again follower of Jesus Christ then please CLICK HERE to learn the gospel (Good News) and how to gain eternal life. 

Please let us know if we can help you in any way.
www.dontperish.com