Beards Are Biblical For Men

Note: the following article is a revised teaching from many years ago. I admit; I did not have it correctly taught as it should be to fully honor God. 

Disclaimer: I used to think a man did not have to grow his beard but today; I have been convicted to see it is rebellion (unnatural) to not grow it as God ordained. 



The following is my attempt to correct my past error and be in God's full truth. A teacher must be ready to test himself and correct to scripture or he is prideful and not humble or meek. 

Recently I raised this topic with a new young brother (who is seeking unity who does not have a beard) and our discussion made me see my view on beards needed to be adjusted biblically.  

As a Christian man, street preacher and teacher seeking godliness; I  have had to over come much in my flesh and in this culture. The fact that I was a worldly man before Christ means I had a long journey to get back to God's standard and holy ways. I once was beard less and then I had a daily trimmed prideful mustache. Now I let my beard grow as God ordained on me... naturally. (trimmed up as needed) 

Should Godly Men have Beards?

I wanted to cover this topic as it does come up from time to time as I am out and about preaching. People often focus on my beard, ask questions and frankly they notice a man with a full beard (also a biblical tunic in my case) out in this culture as I street preach. I am not talking about the fancy trimmed and manicured lil beards that some have for vanity sake today. I also felt led to cover this topic because while a beard is just a outside physical thing, it has DEEPER biblical implications (like head covering and tunics) so lets explore it here. 


Note: right off I want to be very clear:
There is NO single verse that commands believing men should grow a beard today in the NT Word. Also, having a beard in no way is a act to have a better standing with God; other then.... I believe it is part of our obedience to His natural order of creation.  

Having said all of that, I today per scripture / God's order do  think a Christian man should wear a beard; when and as he can grow one.  I will lay out my case with biblical comparisons/reasons why below. 


*God created most all men with the ability to grow a beard showing it is His natural order (Apostle Paul talks of this order in 1 Cor 11)
*woman cannot grow a beard  
*In the Old Testament Word God's male followers all did grow beards. 
*God did have commands requiring His priests to have beards
(do your research in the OT Word )
*The OT Prophets would have all had beards 
*Jesus, Paul, Peter, John the Baptist all  wore beards as well and we are to imitate them 1 Cor 11:1.

The issue that is often raised in opposition to beards is: 

*Its itchy, hot, food gets caught in them, my wife hates them or men say they are used to shaving each day. I would say Christ bled and died for us so those fleshly reasons just have NO standing at all as we walk in the spirit not flesh!

 If it is to keep a clean look that you adore; pride and vanity is at the root. 

Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
Prov 16:18

Therefore their days did he consume in vanity, and their years in trouble.
Psalm 78:33

As I said I once had a clean face and then a trimmed and manicured lil beard. I, like many vain men, spent time every morning (and $$$$ money on items daily) trying to make my look its best often changing it to this style or that. But once I was born again in Christ, I realized God hates pride and vanity in how I view my myself/outside looks. Yes I realize men can idolize a long beard too but not if you have a correct spirit view of it. If you view it as I do today, just the natural godly order that grows on my face and you trim it once in a while for hygiene, there is no pride/vanity issue at play. 

"pride and vanity is in the heart NOT in the beard" 

moving on.........

If there is no COMMAND today to have a beard in the NT Word why would I (a man who only teaches what God's Word and not traditions of man) say, I feel men who can should still grow their beards? 

While God is not specifically telling all men to have beards in the NT word, I believe this is an issue very much like tunics in Genesis 3:21 

God ordained them from the start, all godly men wore them in scripture and those things never changed in all of Holy scripture. (beards and tunics) See articles on tunic dress for men here:

I also think it is really about the difference in sexes and part of God's natural design. He was all through history concerned about men being like and looking like men and not like a woman; a distinction of the sexes let's say. This (along with past godly men/Christ as examples) is the basis on which I would say men who can, should have beards per God's awesome design for men. 

I today do believe it is rebellious to go against God's design so shaving off what God gave you is rebellion. 

Is rebellion sin? 

For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. 1 Sam 15

For proof of God wanting a different in the sexes, I give you these verses:

The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God.
Deut 22:5

Yes this command was given Israel but it does show you God's nature and what He hates, amen? He wanted men to look like men and women like women, that is clear! Look at His creation. 

Beards on men.... not on ladies!

We also see this verse in the New Testament where God dislikes feminized men:

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
1 Cor 6:9

Here the word effeminate is the word mä-lä-ko's in Greek and it means to be soft or have mannerism towards sodomite ways. men who shave and have smooth faces look soft and feminine more then a bearded man.

God does not like feminine men or homosexual ways.

What is clear, as you read scripture, is that God calls / designed men to be the protector and the bold one in the home and life while women are called to be shamefast, children / helper focused and keepers at home. The bible calls woman the weaker vessel of the two.  (1 Peter 3:7)

We have articles on those topics at our teaching blog 

The point I am getting at is God has made a real difference between the sexes in his creation and its function (though both are equal in Christ) today what we see going on in the culture is massive feminization of men/boys, attacks against masculinity, sexual sin and perversion (transgender/sodomite ways) and satan the enemy is behind it all. It is all because people are leaving God's truth/natural design and doing what is right in their own eyes but it only leads to their death and damnation. 

There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.
Prov 14:12 

Today we see men wanting to look like women, woman wanting to look like men and many people wanting to become the opposite sex that God gave them at birth. It is really sinful rebellious craziness!!!
The culture is so lost in its own sin and lost ways, the next generation of youth is growing up not even knowing what a real man or real woman is or looks/acts like per God's design. 

Basically I can rest most of my case for a Christian man growing his beard on the simple fact that..... God designed it that way!

Men should look and be masculine / different than a woman per God's design and the beard does that very thing?

See this picture of a woman:



See this picture of a man shaved without a beard and could really pass for a woman.

                                    

They really do look a lot alike don't they? Often when I am out in the public doing business, I will see a person and based on dress, hairstyles and actions; frankly I can't tell if they are a male or female? This is far OUTSIDE of God's order/design as I have showed you.

Now let me show you this picture ............



Or this one...............

           






Is there any doubt that these are men, NOT women? Hopefully you see my point by now on how God ordered His creation masculine and feminine and we should follow it if we claim Him?

As I said even Apostle Paul uses the nature argument in 1 Cor 11
Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

Having a beard is a natural God's creation and it is NOT mostly about being a macho man as many worldly bearded men say today. (while it can make you look like a man though) It is really all about just obeying and going with God's order and design for the sexes.


As a recap; I further rest my case for beards on godly men today with this:


*God designed men (as a rule) to have a beard / woman no beards

*He commanded them on His priests in the OT
*Jesus and ALL other godly men in scripture wore them 
*I believe it is to make a difference between the sexes
*It shows you honor God's design for your life 
*It spares you from pride vanity and even saves you time and money $$$$$

 I would ask you men why would you, who love and honor God, not obey Him in this simple act of "not daily shaving off " what He gave you in His amazing creation/design? 


Note: I will again go so far to say that men who won't grow their beards (who claim Christ and who understand what is at stake) they are actually rebellious and working on the side of the enemy/feminization of the culture around them. 

This should not be so among God's true holy people.

In my years of ministry work; I have never seen a man who shaves off his beard who does not have other sin,feminized and rebellious issues in his life. It always seems his fruit is he has not died to self fully as of yet. 
Some say they have liberty to NOT wear a beard. But; they are offended if you say then I must have liberty to not be fully united to  you as that is against my conscience so it must go both ways.

I hope you ponder this all you born again men as something important to consider? God gave you a beard for His natural order, you need to OBEY Him.

Please email and give me your biblical case NOT to grow your beard?
 dontperish@outlook.com

And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;
Heb 5:9 

See our bible resources below and let me know how I can help you in the faith; esp see the gospel to eternal life?


See our bible resources below and let me know how I can help you in the faith?


God be praised

James


******************************************

Here is the biblical gospel: